Get the news right in your inbox!

Advocating For Yourself At The Doctor As A Fat Person Isn’t Easy – Here’s Where To Start

June 1, 2019

June 1, 2019

This post may contain affiliate links. Affiliate links allow ComfyFat.com to earn commissions on products we recommend. All opinions are our own.

One of the most common questions I’m asked as a blogger who posts resources for fat people is this: “How do I find a fat-friendly doctor?”

Let’s just think about that for a second: a “fat-friendly” doctor. This implies that the doctor won’t just be kind to me as a fat person, but that they’ll also approach my health free of hidden fatphobic agendas. That should be the default, shouldn’t it?

Unfortunately, it’s not.

Advocating for yourself at the doctor as a fat person isn’t easy.

A lot of us fat people can’t trust our current doctors to see us as anything but a statistic – a problem to be solved. And it can be scary trying to find a new doctor. A lot of fat people, including myself, avoid seeking treatment at all because the anti-fat medical bias we face can actually be traumatizing.

Fat people risk misdiagnosis, disrespect, oversight, shame, unnecessary and harmful side effects of medication, and in some cases even death, when trusting our doctors completely. A lot of us simply – and fairly – don’t want to risk that.

With something as intimate as our health, we should be able to trust those trained to treat us. So what do we do in order to get our needs met? We go above and beyond – and take matters into our own hands when seeking treatment.

But if you’ve never done this before, it can be hard to know where to start.

So here are some tips on advocating for yourself at the doctor, in hopes of making that a little bit easier.

Do your preliminary research

My first suggestion is to look into Health at Every Size (HAES) – which is a framework for medical care trademarked by the Association of Size Diversity and Health. The core principles of HAES are weight inclusivity, health enhancement, respectful care, eating for well-being, and life enhancing movement. This approach aims to challenge medical professions to treat individuals as just that – individuals.

This is an approach that many medical professionals are aware of or can easily find information on.

While HAES isn’t the catchall to solve it all, I believe it does a great job of bridging the gap between patient and doctor in a way that puts power back into the patient’s hands and encourages medical professionals to approach health in a more holistic way.

Linda Bacon, PhD, a researcher and advocate of the body positivity movement, wrote a book called Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight, which might be a helpful resource for understanding your relationship to your body and how to communicate your experiences to your doctor. Sometimes it takes speaking the language of notable and reputable sources to get through to people that we want to teach how to be our allies.

EDIT: Linda Bacon was kind enough to reach out and add, “the appendix contains letters you can share with health professionals, which provide guidelines for providing sensitive care. [The book] also includes general educational letters. The entire appendix is available by free download here.”

You can even bring in a fact sheet (like this one) or other sources with you to your first appointment!

Ask around… and around

If you’re lucky enough to have a fellow fat friend that you trust, ask them about their healthcare experience. The best way to get in with a doctor you can trust is from word of mouth via someone who has similar values as you do. It can also help you know which professionals to avoid.

Of course, not everyone has the pleasure of having close friends who are marginalized in the same ways that they are. But that doesn’t mean you can’t harness the power of referrals.

Networking is one of the greatest benefits of living in the age of the Internet. Ask online – whether on a forum or through your social media accounts!

For example, I’ve really come to be quite fond of joining Facebook groups that align with my interests, needs, and values. Check out the “Caring For Our Fat Bodies” Facebook group: a diet- and weight-loss-free safe space for fat people to ask questions, share resources, and be vulnerable.

You’ll be surprised at how many safe spaces you can find in groups online that aim to share these resources. This worked out especially well for me when I turned to the Internet to find a “fat-friendly” doctor in my area. I simply put it out there that I was taking recommendations and I’d be thankful to anyone who was willing to share their experience. I noticed a few people recommending the same practice in my city, and I made an appointment!

The best way to get in with a good medical professional and minimize trauma is to get that referral – and there are plenty of people out there who are open to helping you.

Look into the accessibility of the facility

Another issue I’ve come up against in my life as a fat person seeking medical care is accessibility of the facility – or, more accurately, the lack thereof. Oftentimes, I worry about the weight capacity of machines, especially if they look outdated. Giving a urine sample is, physically, a nightmare. Hell, even just sitting in the waiting room feels scary when they clearly didn’t have bodies like mine in mind when choosing seating options.

When you go in for your first appointment, remember that you’re scoping out the venue to see if it suits your needs – and you’re allowed to expect it to do that.

Here are some questions to ask yourself:

• How is the seating in the waiting room? Do they have options of chairs without arms and wide seats?
  • Are the examination rooms large enough to be comfortable to move around in?
  • Do they have alternate medical devices on hand to use if their current models aren’t accessible to you? (For example, traditional blood pressure cuffs tend not to fit around my meaty biceps, but many facilities have extra long ones on site.)
  • Are there fatphobic posters on the walls or pamphlets in the waiting area? The literature available often reflects the values of the site.

I want to recognize that being able to do this, to have choice in the facility you use for your medical care, is a privilege. Not everyone has insurance that allows them the freedom to treat doctors’ offices in this way. Often, low-income health insurance allows for one option for medical, dental, and therapeutic treatment, especially in impoverished areas.

If you have this privilege, use it as a power to get your needs met. If you don’t, hang in there. Check out databases like this one where you can search for low-cost/sliding scale health care clinics in your area.

Speak with your doctor

Having conversations about your body with a medical professional can be hard. And scary! When you’ve experienced anti-fat bias in the medical world, it can feel like setting yourself up for trauma just making an appointment. We have to build ourselves up over and over again after each encounter.

This isn’t how we’re supposed to feel when seeking treatment.

You deserve the treatment that is best for you. Remember that your doctor, for all intents and purposes, is working for you. Think of this appointment as an interview where you hold the hiring power.

Be clear. Confident. Bring in notes or a list of what you’d like to go over, especially if you’re prone to forgetting what you want to say when you’re nervous. Ask, “Are you familiar with Health at Every Size?” Whip out your literature to show them you came prepared – and describe the kind of care you’re looking for. Ask them if their values align with that kind of approach.

In addition, ask them to note certain accessibility concerns you have for them to keep on file for you. For example, it is personally very difficult for me to provide a urine sample. Holding the cup between my legs is nearly impossible because of my belly. I found out recently that they can offer a “hat” to anyone who needs a way to provide a urine sample without having to hold the cup underneath them. The hat is a plastic bowl with long edges and you just place it under the toilet seat, put the seat down, and it catches everything you need. Hands free. I have no idea why this hat isn’t the default. It’s so much easier! And cleaner.

Ask doctors to note this in your file to avoid feeling uncomfortable having to ask again if a nurse or substitute doctor is in and doesn’t know to ask if you need one.

And if you find yourself in a situation where the doctor you’re seeing is treating your fatness instead of your medical concern, ask them this question: How would you treat this medical concern if you were speaking with a thin patient?

I want to make this very clear: It should not be our responsibility as fat people to teach medical professionals how to treat us like people. The onus should not be on us to demand respect and proper care. That is the doctor’s responsibility.

However, if you’re like me and have needs that only a physician can fill, and you’re tired of waiting for the right doctor or avoiding medical care altogether, why not do so with an arsenal of resources to make the experience go as smoothly as possible?

Your health is yours. And your doctors work for you. You should get to be in charge of your healthcare.

9 Comments

• Harry Minot June 3, 2019 at 3:22 pm

Excellent and comprehensive! Some time ago April and Sophie did a great “Doctors” segment on their She’s All Fat” podcast which they permitted me to excerpt on one of my WPKN/Bridgeport CT radio programs:

• Ramona Whitaker June 3, 2019 at 5:36 pm

This came just in time. I have a couple of appointments coming up and I will try to be assertive.
    Do you happen to have a link to purchase that book?

• Nancy June 3, 2019 at 5:51 pm

Blood pressure cuff torture alternative. It’s possible and easy to have your blood pressure taken putting the cuff around your forearm and the stethoscope on the wrist (radial blood pressure). Who knew??!! You can go to YouTube and search for a video to learn how and explain to your medical care provider how to do it. I was in hospital having a procedure done when the nurse put one of those automatic blood pressure machines on me then walked away. The pain from that vice-like device had me in tears. Fortunately another nurse was summoned and she took the readings using the forearm technique. What a revelation. I’ve been to the ER several times when they just shrugged their shoulders when the cuff didn’t fit, missing out on vital information to assess me. They always said there’s a larger cuff somewhere but I don’t know where. Thanks for the article and valuable information.

• Linda Bacon June 3, 2019 at 10:00 pm

Great article! I appreciate the mention of my first book, Health at Every Size. Know too that the appendix contains letters you can share with health professionals, which provide guidelines for providing sensitive care. Also includes general educational letters. The entire appendix is available by free download here: https://lindabacon.org/health-at-every-size-book/haes-excerpts-and-downloads/.

It sucks that people need to teach their health care professionals how to provide good care. But glad for the advocacy work in this article to make that easier.

• JAprileo June 4, 2019 at 6:03 pm

Thank you so much for the response! And for reading! I’m updating the post now to include that helpful info. Thank you for the advocacy work you’re doing as well!

• caytlain June 4, 2019 at 4:10 am

I can’t seem to find the facebook group. I wonder if its private or something. Thank you for this. I had doctors tell me for a long time that all my problems were my weight, and I believed them. Till it sent me to the hospital because I was trying to loose weight to get a dr to take my health concerns seriously. Thankfully the ER dr took one look at my condition and numbers and admitted me, never once bringing up my weight.

• JAprileo June 6, 2019 at 5:07 pm

That is so worrisome! I’m sorry you had that experience. I apologize for the Facebook group issue, I’m looking into finding a public group to share with folks!

• Sara June 4, 2019 at 9:55 pm

I had my fasting bloodwork this morning prepping for my semi-annual chastisement tomorrow afternoon. I keep meaning to change docs, but it seems like going through this over again with yet another stranger is less appealing than seeing the chick I’ve got. Gotta pretend you like following her direction, because if you don’t, she might not give the meds I need/want/know work for me. My last doctor (now retired) gave them freely; this one immediately cut the number in half. Seems like she likes having a little power. Ugh I so dread this.

• JAprileo June 6, 2019 at 5:04 pm

Ugh, that does sound very frustrating. We should be able to trust our doctors AND have our doctors trust US!

Welcome to ComfyFat

Make yourself comfy.

Get the news right in your inbox!

Instagram

• I heard there was a #bootyrevolution ??? 😂 jk but HONESTLY I was just telling my babe that anytime I wear anything other than @bear_skn boxers Im disappointed!! Theyre just so soft, moisture wicking, cute af, big enough for my fat ass, and they have mesh underneath for breathability. Im obsessed. They aren’t paying me to say this yall. Though they did just gift me this new cactus pair and it definitely brightened my day!🌵
#bigandtall #menswear #nonbinary #fatbooty #plussize #queerfashion #fatandhappy
    • Swipe for a picture of a picture for #throwbackthursday of a grumpy lil J!! I cant believe some of y’all are young enough to have all of your childhood photos just like...available to you whenever you want WHEREVER you want because someone has them somewhere digitally?? Thats so awesome Im so thankful for the way technology progresses. My childhood photos are all hard copies stored away in boxes at my parents house back in Mass and I have to dig around and take pictures of them when I visit because my parents dont know how to use technology😂 I can imagine how old they must feel.
Just another one of those random realizations that Im growing up. I do think it’s a privilege to grow older. But little observations like this make me FEEL ancient. What makes you feel old?
#psblogger #comfyfat #trans #nonbinary #plussize #tbt #pridemonth #fatnhappy
    • Hanging outside at one of my favorite lunch spots, I started feeling insecure about my belly. I tugged at my shirt as people walked by. I wanted to try and hide it, which I know doesn’t REALLY make a difference. I am fat, no shirt placement can hide that.
I mentioned it to Corissa, saying I was “feelin that internalized fatphobia right now.” I can feel how my presence makes people uncomfortable and when I name it, like I did today, it reminds me that my body is not at fault. Its not a problem, an inconvenience, nor an eyesore. Its purely a vessel for me to get out and enjoy my life in!
#comfyfat #plussize #bigandtall #psblogger #doublechinforthewin #vbo #nonbinarycuties #trans #bodyliberation #fatpositive
    • hi i love sunshine and 70 degree weather🥰🌈 #comfyfat #nonbinarybabes #pridemonth #fatnhappy
    • I wrote the piece “Advocating For Yourself At The Doctor As A Fat Person Isn’t Easy - Here’s Where To Start,” (link in bio) because I want others to feel empowered to stand up to medical professionals. I don’t want us to be afraid of seeking help anymore. We have a right to individualized care. We have the right to be seen as people and to be treated holistically, as opposed to being seen as a statistic and doctors initiating fat protocol on us without even listening to our concerns.
For anyone who thinks Ive got it all figured out, I don’t. I still avoid seeking medical care because Im afraid sometimes. I have to work myself up to it. Its a struggle that I have yet to master. Had I worked on this before, I would have had my knee issue checked out and dealt with 6 years ago when I injured it.
How would your life be different if you could trust medical professionals to treat your properly?
#comfyfat #fatactivism #fatliberation #bodyliberation #medicalcare #healthandwellness #edrecovery #plussizelifestyle
    • Greetings friends! Im approaching 20k! So for those who may not know, Im J. I use they/them pronouns and I create fat positive content on the internet
I have a blog called Comfy Fat where I write about things like gender and fat activism topics. I recently wrote a piece called “Advocating For Yourself At The Doctor As A Fat Person Isn’t Easy - Here’s Where To Start.” You can check out the link in my bio to take a read❤️
Look out for weekly “Lemme Cheer You On” Mondays and Bad Advice in my stories. We have fun with it! We also have a lot of fun over on youtube. My handle is /comfyfat over there
I try and keep it pretty transparent. I have good days and bad days. Im honest about that. I don’t have it all figured out. Some things I do know a heck of a lot about. And its okay to ask questions, I truly want to be a resource to y’all. I just ask that you keep it respectful👌🏼Thanks for joining me and of course for all the love! 💕🌈
What can you celebrate about yourself today? Big or small!
#comfyfat #psblogger #plussize #fatpositive #bodyliberation #trans #nonbinarycuties #fatbabe #bigandtall #representationmatters #pride #pridemonth2019

Follow @comfyfattravels